Monday, August 13, 2012

World Champ


During our most recent trip to Southwest Bay, I got to meet a Vanuatu celebrity - Kali Jacobus, a.k.a. “The Malekula Kid.”  He is the current WBO super middle-weight title holder (I saw one of his defense fights in Port Vila a couple of years ago).  He lives in Lembinwen Village, and recently built a market house in the village with some of his winnings.  Locals from the surrounding area bring their produce every Friday to sell.  While the ladies were perusing the produce inside, I visited with the champ.  He is a super nice guy, and though he is one of the richest people in Vanuatu, he remains very humble and quite generous.

We tentatively scheduled a “lobster outing” for the next time I am in the village, which basically means we’ll go out in his outrigger canoe after dark and he will dive for lobsters.  I am looking forward to it and hope that I can forge a friendship with him that will produce spiritual fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment