Saturday, August 18, 2012

Jeff and Josh


We’ve been praying a lot lately for open doors as we seek to share the truth of God’s word with the people of Vanuatu.  We’ve also received several requests from brethren stateside wanting to know about specific prayer requests.  We submit the following blog entry in answer to both.

Recently, I made a quick two-night trip to Vila to meet with Aaron and purchase some supplies for Malekula.  The taxi driver who took me to the airport, Josh, was a young man from Tanna Island.  As most do, he inquired about our work in Vanuatu and I was happy to talk to him about it.  He shared with me that he works regularly with an inter-denominational youth group.  As we drove past the building where the church in Vila worships, I pointed it out, and he excitedly responded that he lives only a couple of blocks away, and had considered visiting services several times.  I gave him a formal invite to services, and also encouraged him to attend our upcoming Pacific Islands Bible College courses.  He seemed very interested, and I hope that I will indeed be able to catch up with him then.

Since I was relying on public transportation to get me to the airport, I ended up arriving quite early.  After checking in for my flight and taking a seat in the waiting area, a well-dressed man sat down beside me and introduced himself as “Jeffry Liu, but you can call be Jeff” (our entire conversation was in Bislama, though it was clear that he speaks English very well).   I soon learned that he is from Ambae Island, but is living in Vila fulfilling a four year teaching contract - he tutors students to prepare them for university courses.  He too inquired as to where I was going, and how long we had been in Vanuatu.  I gave him a brief overview as he asked the usual questions (where are you from, what church, on what islands is your church present, etc.) and he then asked a question I had never been asked before: “what is your mission?”  I told him that I came to Vanuatu to teach the word of God to those who are interested in changing their lives to fall in line with His plan.  Jeff really lit up with that answer, and said that he wanted me to come to his village in Ambae sometime to teach the Bible.  He has a break from school in December and January, at which time he plans to return to Ambae, and we tentatively set up a plan for me to go with him early next year.  He also told me to contact him next time I am in Vila for a month, and he will give me the opportunity to preach one Sunday morning to his denominational group.  We exchanged numbers, and Jeff actually called me a few nights later, “just to say goodnight” and confirm our plans.  

Please be praying for these exciting opportunities.  God is good!

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome...Great the way you cease those opportunities to share the Love of God to other's, while just going about your daily lives. God Speed! Love, Jeanette & Antony

    ReplyDelete