Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Transitions

It seems too silly to be true really, like a doctor who can’t stand the sight of blood or a banker who doesn’t understand basic financial principles, but it’s true … I don’t do transition well. That’s silly, because my life has been a long series of transitions for well over 10 years now (college to "the real world" to Bear Valley to Vanuatu … Port Vila to Malekula to Oklahoma Christian to Port Vila again).

Surely I’ve gotten better at adjusting to change over the years, but I am still amazingly susceptible to culture shock. Even just moving from one short-term accommodation, to another, and into our permanent rental has thrown me for a bit of a loop. It’s hard to describe really, but most of you have read about or experienced enough culture shock to know what I mean. Sometimes I just feel like I'm in a bit of a rut, without much clarity as to how to get out. I think it's all exacerbated this time, because our teammates (the Bakers) are no longer here or (Mike Olson) are about to depart.

I want to provide a secure and loving environment for my family (God’s provision makes this relatively easy), I want to be active in my community in honor of Jesus, I want to edify and encourage my Christian brothers and sisters here in town and in the villages. In a word, I want to be “useful” in God’s mission. But so often, when caught in transition, I find it difficult to achieve these goals. 


And so, I ask you to pause for a moment and say a prayer on my behalf, especially because about the time I get adjusted to my new surroundings in Vila, it will be time to make a trip to Tanna, and a few weeks later to Malekula. I love Vanuatu and the work God has given us to do here, and really want to be an effective worker. Your prayers and encouragement along those lines are much appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys! We love you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in our prayers continually

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks DeAnn and Kevin. We love and appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are ,praying for you Shawnda, I admire your faith and devotion in so many ways, the constant change would be very hard on me and I know you like to be organized, it is one thing to organize one person but a whole family..ughh and there aren't any modern conveniences during your journey either, plus the HEAT, etc etc. BUT...the rewards when you meet new people and give them a chance to be a child of God...that is when it is all worth it!! so, hang in there and stay focused on eternity. God will give you the strength to soldier on. love and think of you all often, Antony & Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you guys! I'm so impressed with how you guys have moved from transition to transition. I pray that the rut feeling can go away as I know it can be debilitating. I pray that He strengthens you and shows you the light you are.

    ReplyDelete