Friday, November 15, 2013

World Mission Workshop

Photo credit: Henoc Kivuye, Oklahoma Christian University

The World Mission Workshop has been taking place on the campuses of Christian Universities since "Harding College" hosted the first back in 1961. As such, it is geared towards university students interested in foreign and domestic missions. Approximately 350 students from several different schools attended the workshop this year, hosted by Oklahoma Christian University here in Edmond.

I was given the opportunity to speak twice during the weekend event. My "keynote" was during the normal OC chapel session on Friday morning. Hardeman Auditorium seats 1,200, and every seat was filled, making it (by far) the largest crowd I've ever had opportunity to address. The theme for the workshop was "Renewal: Experience It. Share It." I chose to share a story of renewal from Vanuatu during that session. Looking back on our 8+ years in Vanuatu, it is really encouraging to see the ways in which the gospel has changed lives, particularly within family units. I centered most of my thoughts around Sam and Leimawa in Etas Village, and the significant change they've undergone over the past several years in response to their faithfulness to Jesus. I think they are a perfect example of those who have "laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One..." (Col 3:9,10).

I was also given the opportunity to teach a class on Saturday morning, and was very pleased to have 40-50 show up for that. The title of my lesson was "Sharing the Gospel in the Shadow of Traditional Religion." I had never really stopped to think about all the challenges we face in Vanuatu because of the indigenous religious roots that are shared by the ni-Vanuatu, but preparing this lesson really facilitated my "connecting the dots" on a number of issues that we face. Hopefully my presentation broadened the perspective of those present, to help them understand some of the unique contexts in which the gospel is being shared and having positive impacts.

A couple of professors from Harding University were in my Traditional Religion class at the workshop, and invited me to come and deliver that lecture to four sessions of their "World Christian" class (approximately 240 students total). It was a pleasure to travel there last weekend for a couple of days and share with them.

We continue to enjoy our time Stateside, and have especially benefitted greatly from our experiences at OC. It continues to be a wonderful opportunity for growth and fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment