Friday, November 22, 2013

Intercultural Communication, Part 2


I was invited back to the Intercultural Communications class to lead a discussion on "How Intercultural Communication Has Affected My Faith." I have mentioned in previous posts how much I've enjoyed sitting in on this course and considering the topic, and I especially appreciated the opportunity to think through the past 8 years in these terms.

At the outset I had to disclose that sometimes I feel like practically 100% of my "Christian experience" has taken place in an intercultural setting, and thus it can be difficult for me to ascertain what part of my faith has been impacted by intercultural experience and which part as simply been impacted by (generic) experience. There is a sense in which all of my real-world experience has been in a culture foreign to my own, and I think that's a fairly unique position in which to be.

One of the impacts that stands out most clearly in my mind is the role my cross cultural experience has played in creating a great dependence on God. Shawnda has been the best help-meet I could ever ask for, but operating in the absence of an extended family and (similar-culture) friends has forced us to rely that much more on our God. I remember vividly the strengthening of our faith as we endured Titus' on-again/off-again adoption process, as we prayed to and trusted in God for provision and strength. Financially speaking, we have been living on faith for years, and God has never ceased to provide. Living in a different culture has meant living outside our comfort zone in a lot of instances, but has also provided an opportunity for our trust in God's providence to grow.

My experience has also shaped my appreciation for what we might term "incarnational ministry." It was best exemplified by Jesus himself, as he gave up heaven to come to earth, humbling himself to the point  of taking on flesh and ultimately dying on the cross. Paul followed that example by becoming "all things to all men...by all means." My own attempt at incarnational ministry has paled in comparison, but I have a more keen awareness of what Jesus and Paul were doing in their ministry because of my opportunities to minster cross-culturally.

One of the greatest things about living in Vanuatu, and especially about spending a few years in the village, has been witnessing the natural expression of hospitality, generosity and community that is evidenced in their culture. I have been convicted time and again in these areas, as members of this "developing country" teach me lesson after lesson on these very-Christian principles/attitudes. From the elderly widow who unexpectedly gave us money for an upcoming mission trip, to the village store owner who refused to raise the price of a kilogram of flour even after I helped him realize that he was losing 10 cents on every sale (because he was operating his store as much to bless the community as he was to make a profit), to the numerous times I've witnessed people sacrifice greatly to help a family member or friend in need (sometimes I myself being the recipient). Generally speaking, independence is not a valued quality in their society ... and as hard as it sometimes is for me to accept that, I am growing in my appreciation for a life lived in dependence upon others.

My comprehension of Bible narratives has been enriched through my experiences as well. I am convinced that 21st century Vanuatu culture is has much more in common with 1st century Palestine than 21st American/Western culture does. I have had the opportunity to be exposed to "households" like Lydia's or the Philippian jailer, to noncommercial fisherman and gardeners (who rely on their skills for their livelihood), and to unique travel scenarios (boat, walk, cart, canoe, etc.). The list could go on and on.

My experience has also impacted me in regard to the relevance of the NT Scriptures cross-culturally. Perhaps the best text to consider as an example (and the one I brought up in my discussion in class) is Galatians 5:19-26. I am amazed at how the things mentioned in that text can be so very true and relevant in cultures as divergent as America and Vanuatu. They are sometimes manifested in different ways, but the deeds of the flesh and the fruit of the Spirit are very much cross-cultural.

One last observation I shared was the way in which I have been able to understand how absolute truths can still be applied in variant ways. For instance, we understand the command to "honor your father and mother" to be absolute. However, "honor" in Vanuatu looks something like making a way for your parents to be in their home village, well taken care of (food, clothing, housing, etc.) by their son(s). On the other hand, in America it could be quite admirable to financially provide your parents a comfortable residence with care givers (e.g. assisted living or retirement village) who are able to provide a comfortable and pleasant atmosphere that they very much enjoy, albeit hundreds or even thousands of miles away. But in Vanuatu, to pass off your loved ones to someone else's care would actually be interpreted as dishonor. Sometimes it can be a challenge to determine what in my makeup is "American" and what is truly "biblical." I think that setting up an American church in a non-American culture can be a recipe for a very empty faith, because such would not be relevant to the individual. This only adds to the beauty of Scripture - it's ability to be applied across cultural lines.

One of the things we hear most from people who travel internationally is how that experience affects them in various (mostly positive) ways. I think there is a great value in understanding cultures foreign to our own, especially as it relates to our faith. Some day as Christians, we will be able to be a part of "a great multitude which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes ... saying, 'Salvation to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb'" (Rev 7:9,10). It's a blessing to get to experience that in a small way even here on earth!

1 comment:

  1. Amen, very good insight to the relevance of the gospel to every culture. Thank you for your work for The Lord in the "uttermost" parts of the world. God bless, Pat

    ReplyDelete