Saturday, September 10, 2011

The extra mile

A few weeks ago, Alsen asked if he could come by the house that afternoon to visit. Come to find out, he'd been reading his Bible and had a few questions about things he'd read. This may seem small, but it means he's (1) been reading his Bible on his own, (2) making an effort to comprehend and apply what he's reading, and (3) willing to seek out answers to his questions. On top of that, I just enjoy visiting with him.

During the course of that discussion, Alsen asked if I'd be willing to study one-on-one with him twice a week. Keep in mind that this is in addition to our Sunday PM classes, Wednesday PM classes and Friday PM classes. Of course, I was excited to grant his request.

Interestingly, Alsen chose topics of study that I subconsiously try to avoid because I find them so difficult to communicate (especially in Bislama). On Mondays we are studying "how to preach" (focusing on lesson preparation) and on Saturdays we are studying leadership. It's good for me to teach on these topics, because I probably wouldn't choose them on my own, and of course they're very important topics to cover. I especially appreciate the fact that Alsen is willing to go the extra mile to take advantage of opportunities to equip himself for service in the kingdom.

I find myself looking forward to our meetings together each week, and am so thankful that Alsen is thinking about and preparing for the future. He's already a good preacher and leader, and I pray that he will continue to excel in these two areas for years to come. Please be praying for him and all the Christians in Tulwei Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment